~ Fattoria Casabianca ~


Due south of Siena and north west of Montalcino lies the 654 hectare estate of Fattoria Casabianca.
Fattoria Casabianca is a complete working farm.  The estate produces various products from grains to wine and includes wonderful agriturismo amenities for quaint farm holidays.  On the edge of unadulterated Tuscany, the estate is surrounded by forest filled with deer, cinghiale, fox, and rabbits. 
This “oneness” with nature extends to the family’s passion for  winemaking and their philosophy of “Innovation with Care” can be witnessed in each product the estate produces. 
In fact, Casabianca is unique. Not only is the estate Certified Organic,  but their wines are Certified Vegan and that is a first for this writer.  


~ Crops at Fattoria Casabianca ~


Casabianca sits in the Chianti Colli Senesi denomination and produces an interesting array of wines which will be the subject of future articles here at TuscanVines.  Today, we’re focusing on a staple of the estate and the region;  Chianti Colli Senesi Riserva.  
With production of over 20,000 bottles, the 2012 Chianti Colli Senesi Riserva from Fattoria Casabianca should be easy enough to find.   We did not decant the wine, but opened it before dinner and consumed it slowly with Pecorino from Pienza and then with Farfalle Bolognese.  
In the glass, the wine is a deep ruby – a slightly rustic  color with violet reflections.  As the wine opened it became very expressive.  Flowers, crushed cherry, worn leather and a slight touch of vanilla spice are evident on both the nose and palate.  In the mouth, the wine  is well balanced with acidity and medium weight tannins.  Medium bodied,  this was excellent with the meal, but really excelled with the cheese.  
Vinification occurs in 40 hectoliter wooden casks and stainless steel while aging takes place in both French barrique (6 months) and bottle (5 months) prior to release.  88 points and a nice value for my EU readers.   Not yet imported to the United States.  Disclosure:  This bottle was a producer provided sample.


~ The 2012 Riserva is 85% Sangiovese, while the remaining 15% is a blend of Merlot, Canaiolo and Colorino ~

Buon Fine Settimana!


I agree to have my personal information transfered to AWeber ( more information )
Looking for even more wine tasting notes, recipes, news, and insider info not found anywhere else? Sign up for the Tuscan Vines newsletter.
We hate spam. Your email address will not be sold or shared with anyone else.